Did you know that the average lifespan of a Fortune 500 company fell from 61 years a half century ago to just 18 years by 2010? That finding, reported by the magazine in 2014, came from research conducted by Richard Foster, a Yale School of Management professor and co-author of the book “Creative Destruction.”
Such findings make the fact that the foodservice distribution industry boasts several companies that have passed the 100-year mark impressive, indeed. Many are still family-owned and –operated and all have seen and contributed to amazing advancements in the industry. Here’s our list of 13 companies that have passed the 100-year milestone.
- A. Curtze, Erie, Pa. est. 1878
- Performance Food Group, Richmond, Va., est. 1885
- Pate Dawson-Southern Foods, Goldsboro, N.C., est. 1885
- Feesers, Inc., Harrisburg, Pa., est. 1901
- Merchants Foodservice, Hattiesburg, Miss., est. 1904
- Pocono ProFoods, Stroudsburg, Pa., est.1905
- Ben E. Keith Foods, Fort Worth, Texas, est. 1906
- Ginsberg’s Foods, Hudson, N.Y, est. 1909
- Testa Produce, Chicago, est. 1912
- Wood Fruitticher, Birmingham, Ala., est. 1913
- Y. Hata & Company, Honolulu, est. 1913
- Jordano’s Foodservice, Santa Barbara, Calif., est. 1915
- Kuna Foodservice, Dupo, Ill., est. 1918
Do you know of another company that should be added to our 100-year-plus list? Let us know!